Is Black Still Beautiful ?

I aint gonna get too drawn out on my first post but I was having a discussion with a poster on another site and this person who happened to be black said

to me, "with yo nappy headed self" which I guess was supposed to be derogatory but hell, she don't know me from Adam. I aint gonna go on and on but if she did happen to know me, she would know that I embrace the natural texture of my hair. Been sporting an afro off and on for a long time and haven't had any chemicals in my hair since I got my last blowout back in elementary school. You know back when the Jackson5 was the sh!t. No lie, I used to swear I was the 6th Jackson.

Our black skin comes in all different shades and our hair in all textures so in this day and age, do we still feel like our African features are ugly or offensive, do we still believe that there is a such thing as "good hair" and really most of all, is black still beautiful?

4 commented:

Hecate RavenMoon 03 May, 2008 12:16  

I really enjoyed your blog--I am going to add you to my list of favorite blogs on my blog site page.

In answer to your question--I say yes that black is still beautiful--even though I am a white girl. I tend not to hold much on the issue of 'skin color' because deep down--we are all human beings and we all have the same color of blood--red.

Hope you are having a great weekend.

Blessed be.

:)

VaLyria 09 May, 2008 18:50  

Right on! I'm in the process of going natural myself.

Hecate RavenMoon 24 May, 2008 11:53  

Sauce--

hey thanks for stopping by my blog--I really appreciate it.

Hope you are having a great weekend.

:)

Sister Girl 01 July, 2008 21:21  

I would give ANYTHING if I could rock my afro or afro puffs like I did when I was a little girl ! But I believe that I'll get back to wearing my bald fade(sigh)because I like the hairstyle like crazy & received LOTS of compliments on how becoming it was.

T.

Search This Blog

Back to TOP